[Libdlo] Feedback, but maybe not the type that you want to get...

James sammy at sammyjames.com
Tue Dec 29 19:31:16 PST 2009

Hey everyone:

I just spent the last two hours trying to recreate the same conditions that let me get the DisplayLink to "work" last time. Unfortunately, I ended up with mega-problems -- as in, I can't even get back into nano to fix my xorg.conf. I'm just going to format the drive and use my (other working) build.

Right now, I'd say that it is dicey at best to try to use x2x to run your DisplayLink device. Unless you're like me and don't mind spending hours reinstalling Ubuntu (or have your particular build backed up) I wouldn't even attempt this. I think that I know what I did wrong, but I've grown a bit weary of this exercise. My time would be better-spent working on some other things right now.

I guess that the best thing to understand here is that x2x is NOT the right long-term solution, and I never expected that it would be. x2x is sort of a multi-seat platform anyhow, so if you are like me and you're just trying to get an extended desktop, then you won't have luck with x2x.So, from that standpoint, it is useful to know what DOESN'T work, as well as what does.

If you really just HAVE to try this, here's the link that I found that got me on my way:

Note that the guy who did this was using MYTHbuntu, and not regular Ubuntu (or even the Studio version). I have read elsewhere that Mythbuntu has some different drivers or kernel, so he may have had better luck because of that. Too, I don't understand the first thing about shell scripts, so I was probably just getting results through sheer dumb luck. In other words -- YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! Don't even THINK about trying the above method if you really care a lot about what is on your Linux computer.

(Note that if you are a member of UbuntuForums, and I'm not, you may want to post to his thread. I wouldn't mind knowing more about what he did and how he did it, but I'm on forum overload as it is, so I don't really feel like signing up to post to this one thread.)

I'm waitng for better drivers! Take care.

- Sammy James