[Libdlo] [ANNOUNCE] displaylink-mod-0.3(alpha) (was udlfb)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jul 8 12:29:05 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:09:09PM +0200, Roberto De Ioris wrote:
> I have already hacked the intel driver to use a displaylink as a new crtc
> (even 3d works on it)

Very nice, have a pointer to the code anywhere?

> but this is not viable (we will need to hack all the
> drivers...).

I disagree, I think it is a very viable solution for a lot of users (see
the huge market share of Intel graphic controllers as one example.)  We
can make the same changes to the ati drivers that are open, and we have
almost the whole market for laptops right there.

If the one remaining semi-major vendor also wants this kind of support,
they are free to make the same changes as well.

In fact, if you look at the Windows solution for this hardware, they do
tie into the Intel driver in this same manner and not any other driver,
probably due to the large market share.

> A good choice (IMHO) is implement a sort of 'virtual crtc'
> thah can be dinamically attached to every xorg video driver.

Yes, that would be a good long-term solution, but the xorg core changes
might be very large.  I'd be interested in taking whatever you did for
the intel driver now and running with it to see where that might go.

thanks,

greg k-h