[Libdlo] [ANNOUNCE] displaylink-mod-0.3(alpha) (was udlfb)

Roberto De Ioris roberto at unbit.it
Wed Jul 8 11:09:09 PDT 2009

> jasonlife wrote:
>> I helped "muchman" to setup his dual screen monitors, so I hope I also
have correct X configuration ;)

> Yes - I had dual monitors going with Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit) and udlfb/xorg
driver but Xinerama couldn't be used at that time with it. Is this
something the new package addresses?

No, the xinerama limits is in the intel driver (i do not know if ati has
the same problem). Infact you can use xinerama with two (or more)
displaylink devices.

Xinerama is pratically deprecated, so until xrandr will include
multi-cards support there is no way to use displaylink in this way.

I have already hacked the intel driver to use a displaylink as a new crtc
(even 3d works on it) but this is not viable (we will need to hack all the
drivers...). A good choice (IMHO) is implement a sort of 'virtual crtc'
thah can be dinamically attached to every xorg video driver.

Probably this summer i will work on this.

Roberto