[Libdlo] [ANNOUNCE] udlfb 0.2.2 and xf86-driver-displaylink 0.2

Tim Green timothy.j.green at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 14:44:00 PDT 2009

2009/6/5 Alan Bell <alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com>:
> not entirely sure I understand the concept of using displaylink as an
> output. Does this mean that if the GPU on the card does accelerated 3D
> then this could be done then the rendered output sent out to the
> displaylink? Compiz on the displaylink would be kind of amazing.
> I think the displaylink as a card approach would still be useful
> especially for embedded applications where the controlling computer
> might not have anything resembling a GPU on it.
>
> Or did I miss the point?

We have, at least, 2 opposite users:
1. Desktop users with acres of video and system RAM for framebuffers
and caches, and tons of horsepower in their GPU and CPU. They want an
extra screen or three or six whenever they feel like it over USB.
2. Embedded users with limited RAM and CPU. They want a simple USB
console or to drive signage with movies and slide shows.

Did I miss anyone?

Tim.