[Libdlo] [ANNOUNCE] udlfb 0.2.2 and xf86-driver-displaylink 0.2

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Fri Jun 5 15:22:02 PDT 2009

Tim Green wrote:
> We have, at least, 2 opposite users:
> 1. Desktop users with acres of video and system RAM for framebuffers
> and caches, and tons of horsepower in their GPU and CPU. They want an
> extra screen or three or six whenever they feel like it over USB.
> 2. Embedded users with limited RAM and CPU. They want a simple USB
> console or to drive signage with movies and slide shows.
>
> Did I miss anyone?
>
> Tim.

I think you are about right, users at the extreme ends of the spectrum.
For what it's worth I am evaluating a proof of concept for a
multi-output teleprompting system. Basically scrolling large bold white
on black text with a script for someone to read to camera (text may need
to be mirrored with xrandr on some outputs where an angled glass
reflector is used) other outputs will give screens with the script plus
directions for cameras, lights, sound etc. The person reading the script
controls the pace of the scrolling for all the outputs.

For me the important things are smoothness of scrolling, the ability to
reflect the display without impacting scrolling performance and the
ability to have at least 3 displays going at once. I am certain this
could be done with the device and the low level drivers by writing out
bitmaps of lines of text and moving them about, but an xorg driver is
easier and much more flexible.

Alan.