[Libdlo] [ANNOUNCE] udlfb 0.2.3 and xf86-video-displaylink 0.3

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Wed Jun 10 09:11:09 PDT 2009

so what is needed to build this from a virgin Ubuntu desktop install? I
have build-essential installed, I went into the udlfb folder and ran
make, it worked fine and built a bunch of files including the .ko one
which I expect needs to be put somewhere in the modules directory but I
am not sure where.

I went into the udlfb-0.2.3_and_xf86-video-displaylink-0.3 folder and
did ./configure this failed with the following:

No package 'xorg-server' found
No package 'fontsproto' found

so how should I figure out what it really wants as these don't appear to
be package names. I took a guess and installed xorg-dev and this pulled
in enough other stuff that configure ran to completion
then I did
make
sudo make install

and it seems to have installed itself.
Now what? Does it need an xorg.conf or should it be automatic? I set up
what I think is a reasonable xorg.conf based on the second one in the
README, but with only one displaylink and the intel driver.
this leads to the following in Xorg.0.log:

(II) LoadModule: "displaylink"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module displaylink
(II) UnloadModule: "displaylink"
(EE) Failed to load module "displaylink" (module does not exist, 0)

I guess the udlfb.ko file needs to be put somewhere. Any suggestions?

Alan.