[Libdlo] Some questions about libdlo

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Sun May 17 11:07:32 PDT 2009

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the questions.

Yea, the modesets can't/won't stay fixed tabled based for long -- we want
something lower level that can be better paired with an EDID parsing library
to make full use of the monitor.  Check the archive for the "next steps"
email, if you didn't already see it.  We also have another compression
format to add.  As we look at how things will play out, we'd rather have
these handled transparently behind the API, where possible.  But I'm sure
other people will make other choices, and as this is out in the open, they
can.

And similarly in terms of documentation, we've focused what time we have on
"executable documentation" in the form of the LGPL library.  But others will
translate that information, as you know.

Ultimately, we know as a company that has to think about commercial
concerns, we won't make everyone happy with what we release.  But we do want
to help get these devices working well on Linux and other non-Win/Mac
platforms.

So thanks very much for your ongoing strong interest in getting these
devices working on the platforms you care about.

Thanks,
Bernie