[Libdlo] Basic PNG and SVG display

Roberto De Ioris roberto at unbit.it
Fri May 22 11:40:39 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 20:40 +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Hi,
>

> However, if we get a kernel framebuffer driver (as Roberto promises)
> then a user-space utility like this seems of little use.  There are
> probably already dozens of programs that can render graphics into a
> framebuffer device.

Yes, actually if you launch (for example)

mplayer -vo fbdev:/dev/fb1 <videofilename>

and send the ioctl to the device you will see the current output

>  Actually the more I think about it the more I
> believe that a kernel framebuffer driver is the right solution for this
> sort of thing.  The only disadvantage is that it needs a full screen's
> worth of RAM, which might be a bit excessive on an embedded device like
> a router.  (Well, unless you have only N pages mapped to RAM, and if
> the code touches page N+1 you flush the least-recently-used page to the
> screen and re-use it.  That would obviously work better for some
> patterns of access than others.  Roberto, have you considered something
> like this?)

yes i have considered this problem, probably i will follow this way in
the next release.

I am ready to release the first prototype version of dlfb, (for now
called udlfb as its very ugly ;) )

--
Roberto De Ioris
http://unbit.it