[Libdlo] Basic PNG and SVG display

Phil Endecott spam_from_libdlo at chezphil.org
Fri May 22 12:24:39 PDT 2009

Roberto De Ioris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 20:40 +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:

>> However, if we get a kernel framebuffer driver (as Roberto promises)
>> then a user-space utility like this seems of little use.  There are
>> probably already dozens of programs that can render graphics into a
>> framebuffer device.
>
> Yes, actually if you launch (for example)
>
> mplayer -vo fbdev:/dev/fb1 <videofilename>
>
> and send the ioctl to the device you will see the current output

I would hope that mplayer would do double-buffering, and would swap
buffers and wait for vsync after writing each frame.  Does the
framebuffer API let it do that in a device-independent way, or does
each framebuffer implementation provide its own set of calls?  If it is
portable then you could use those calls (i.e. swap buffers or wait for
sync) to do the flush.

Also, if I open the device, write an image and close it, will your
driver flush to the hardware on the close?

> I am ready to release the first prototype version of dlfb, (for now
> called udlfb as its very ugly ;) )

Please do - I like other peoples' ugly code, it makes me feel better
about my own :-)

Phil.