[Libdlo] Frame Buffer with UDLFB broken since disabling defio

Bernie Thompson bernie at plugable.com
Mon Apr 19 07:50:35 PDT 2010

Hi Justin,

Unfortunately, there are problems with udlfb+defio that are still
unresolved -- primarily: 1) pages accumulate which no longer trigger
writes, building up dead lines on the screen 2) with 2+ devices,
updates to one bizarrely affect the other and 3) pages not being
present when the driver is handed them to process - causing kernel
oops.

So even though the defio support is tantalizing close, I've been
completely stumped by these problems (I don't see any errors in udlfb
to cause them, and don't know Linux MMU handling well enough to
re-review all of defio) -- and they're severe enough that it's not
good to have "normal" users stumble on them.

But - it's easy enough to turn the support back on.  Just remove that
#undef CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO
line in the code (visible in the commit diff in your link below).

Would love to have help from anywhere on figuring out the source of
the problems.  Getting defio back on by default would be great, as
it's the only clean way to support "normal" USB-unaware fbdev clients
who just mmap the framebuffer.

Best wishes,
Bernie