[Libdlo] DisplayLink on QNAP TS-119 ARM box

Phil Endecott spam_from_libdlo at chezphil.org
Tue Apr 20 13:00:18 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I thought some of you might be interested to know that I have got my
MiMo to work with my new QNAP TS-119.  That's a smallish box with a 1.2
GHz Marvell ARM chip and 512 MB of RAM, sold for network attached
storage but usable for anything since Debian can be installed on it.
Photo here:

     http://chezphil.org/tmp/mimo_qnap.jpeg

All I had to do was to build a 2.6.33.2 vanilla kernel with udlfb and
fbcon enabled (one good thing about this box is that it's fast enough
to do this sort of thing natively) and it just works.  Well, I had to
load fbcon and getty manually; I'll have to work out the proper way to
make that happen when it boots.  Actually I was quite surprised that it
picked up the USB keyboard as "half of a console"; I was expecting some
additional pain to make that work.  So thanks to everyone who has made
this work.  I'm aware that there are newer kernel modules and I'll
probably experiment with them at some point.

(The little thing to the left in the photo is a Ben NanoNote, a 330 MHz
MIPS-powered gadget currently running OpenWRT, but to be Debianised
ASAP.  It has a USB device controller and is configured to appear as a
USB ethernet adaptor to whatever it's plugged in to.  It's a fun toy
but it's hard to think of real applications for it.)

Regards,  Phil.