[Libdlo] Question about beagleboard and um720s

Jonathan Wilson piercing_male at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 05:54:50 PST 2010

Firstly if this doesn't post correctly my apologies as its my first post
and I'm new to mail-lists and Linux in general.

I have recently brought a Beagleboard to do some playing with, and learn
a bit about kernel drivers and USB OTG as I have a few ideas that I'd
love to see implemented in a portable backup/on the fly graphic editing
"box" for my Canon dSLR's. Even if I cant implement them perhaps someone
else can when I get my head around the practicalities of the ideas.

Ok...

I have now got the beagleboard to work through the serial console to my
PC and can type stuff and get responses! Next step will be to compile
and install a new kernel to a card and boot from that.

It should be noted that as yet I have no monitor or TV connected to the
beagleboard, and when used "out and about" the only way to interface
with it will be via the UM720S.

Q1, Is there a way to make the UM720S work as a "secondary or primary"
console... so that once Linux & the USB host port is "up and running"
any console stuff is mirrored on it and the serial port. Does this
require the libdlo, or can it be done at a lower level, non-graphical ,
non-frame buffer? (Perhaps something that is already in the kernel?)

Q2, Once Q1 is running I guess the next stage will be to load the FB and
touchpad driver, also the related software stacks to get a graphical
user interface such as X11, Qt or Gnome, etc?

Q3, Once Q2 is done, will I be able to command key back and forth from
the console and GUI on the UM720S?

I suppose that will do for now, best I not get to ahead of myself.

JonXx