[Libdlo] EDID and dynamic modset issues

Todd Grayson toddgrayson at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 07:11:24 PST 2010

When using the latest git.plugable.com master branch as well as the displaylinkfb module I am getting issues with the framebuffer device size not being large enough to set different modes even though they are supported by the monitor.

My understanding is that udlfb uses EDID to find the monitor's preferred mode. As a result it looks like when creating the framebuffer initially it is setting the memory size based on the returned resolution not allowing any resolution larger than that returned resolution.

When trying to set the framebuffer size to a larger resolution than the one initially created using the fbset utility there is a returned error of:

ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument

Setting the resolution to a smaller size works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.