[Libdlo] Getting things up on CentOS

Alexander Todorov atodorov at otb.bg
Sat Jan 23 05:14:20 PST 2010

Bernie Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>> That sounds strange to me, I have never heard of such a bug in udev, and
>> any more information you might have about this would be very good to
>> know.
>
> Using Alexander's scripts as inspiration, here's a quick run at
> getting audio going for USB multiseat terminals like Plugable's, with
> Ubuntu 9.04: http://plugable.com/2010/01/20/linux-usb-multiseat-audio-support/

Hi Bernie,
thank your for your input. The udev rules now seem much more clear and no
dangling symlinks are left behind. I like it. I've already updated my scripts to
 reflect this :).

They are now living in a new location if anyone is  interested:
http://code.google.com/p/otb-sources/source/browse/trunk/sumu

> I modified the udev rule slightly to make sure to match usb audio, and
> to use the built-in udev SYMLINK function.  So it may be that or
> distro differences, but so far I've seen no udev problems --
> everything working well.  It would be interesting to quickly check if
> this also works on Red Hat.

The udev rules required a slight change to work on Red Hat distros:
PROGRAM="/bin/cat /sys/%p/../../../../../devnum"  changed to
PROGRAM="/bin/cat /sys/%p/device/../../devnum"

This is due to distros differences I guess. I had to make a similar change to
the other udev rules too when I first tried using them.

I've tested those new fixes on a fully updated RHEL Desktop 5.4 system and all
seemed to work. Playback is working, but I still haven't tested the mic support
(i.e. Skype and friends).

Regards,
Alexander.