[Libdlo] what displaylink device should i buy and what steps are still needed?

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Thu Jul 1 13:26:50 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Jelle de Jong
<jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
> Thank you too for helping out with the great info and developing udlfb!
>
> I would buy an UGA-2K-A to support you, but I cant find a reliable supplier
> in Europa to transport to the Netherlands.

Thank you for thinking of it!  We've put together fully automated
shipping within the USA.  Hoping to add a worldwide shipping
system/distributor strategy in coming months...

> Done, see the attached log. (screen is green)

Great, glad that the no-EDID fallback to 800x600 is working now on your system.

> My xorg crashed when trying to use the device. Where can I find the latest
> Xorg driver I should use?

Yep, follow (only) step two of
http://plugable.com/2009/11/16/setting-up-usb-multiseat-with-displaylink-on-linux-gdm-up-to-2-20/

That latest version on http://git.plugable.com/ (should) have fixes
for the problems you're seeing.

> I also attached an other 7" TFT but the EDID wasn't recognised either.. I
> took an quarantined microsoft windows xp laptop and installed the display
> link device to test it. The device worked, but not as I would expect, I
> could not get 1440x900 on DVI output only low resolotions, with VGA output I
> could set it to 1440x900 but the images would be a bit distorted. But I
> don't trust windows that much.. I was using a 5.2b2 driver.

Ah, it looks like Windows wasn't getting EDID either.  So it really
seems like something in hardware -- the adapter, cable, or monitor --
is preventing proper read of EDID.  You could isolate that down a
little by plugging this cable/monitor into a standard graphics
controller and seeing if your mode list and default mode is properly
limited to the capabilities of the monitor.

Best wishes,
Bernie