[Libdlo] what displaylink device should i buy and what steps are still needed?

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Thu Jul 1 17:17:47 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
> Thank you for the help, I compiled xf86-video-fbdev and setup my xorg. I got
> a kind of working output of 800x600 :)

Glad it's working at the 800x600 fallback mode with no EDID.

> How can I get the device to work on 1440x900 or 2048x1152 resolutions?

Well, options are:

1) Get EDID working.  Sounds like it might be a problem with the
Sunweit device (given the behavior in Windows).
2) Hardcode for the mode in udlfb should work (just replace the 800 by
600 fallback in the code), as long as the mode is also one of the VESA
modes the kernel knows about (they're listed in your output there).
Looks like 1440 isn't one of them.
3) I haven't tried specifying the mode in xorg.conf with
xf-video-fbdev, but that might work.  Please let us know if it does.
4) Long term, adding an interface to write a backup/default EDID via
sysfs, and perhaps adding an interface to change default mode via
module parameters or sysfs -- both would be good features for udlfb.

Best wishes,
Bernie