[Libdlo] what displaylink device should i buy and what steps are still needed?

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Thu Jul 1 23:59:53 PDT 2010

Dear Bernie,

On 02-07-10 02:17, Bernie Thompson wrote:
> 1) Get EDID working.  Sounds like it might be a problem with the
> Sunweit device (given the behavior in Windows).
> 2) Hardcode for the mode in udlfb should work (just replace the 800 by
> 600 fallback in the code), as long as the mode is also one of the VESA
> modes the kernel knows about (they're listed in your output there).
> Looks like 1440 isn't one of them.
> 3) I haven't tried specifying the mode in xorg.conf with
> xf-video-fbdev, but that might work.  Please let us know if it does.
> 4) Long term, adding an interface to write a backup/default EDID via
> sysfs, and perhaps adding an interface to change default mode via
> module parameters or sysfs -- both would be good features for udlfb.

1) I can sent my displaylink device to you by airmail.
1b) I possible I would like to buy two UGA-2K-A devices. (for 2048x1152 use)

2) Hard coding will not be an option for me, to much maintenance, and
since it will not support my wanted resolutions 1440x900 or 2048x1152
there seems little point in testing it. (still going to try it)

3) I tried using the normal xorg.conf Display subsection to set the
resolution, see the previous mail and its attachments, but this did not
seem to do anything.

4) sysfs interface option would be a fix, but only for advanced users,
understanding what to do with the EDID is probably not user friendly.

5) what can be don to make the device get the EDID information? the
intel video controller was able to retrieve it..\

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,

Jelle de Jong