[Libdlo] DisplayLink on Fedora 12

Akshay Sathe satheakshay at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 01:30:54 PST 2010

Hi List,

I am trying to enable dual screen display on Fedora 12  (kernel –
2.6.32.9-67). I have installed the displaylink-mod and
xf86-video-displaylink packages on my system and am editing my xorg.conf
file. The displaylink screen turns green on connecting it through USB.

In the device section of the displaylink device, if I enable the “/dev/fb1”
option as shown below, I get a black screen. The default screen shows the
display normally.

Section "Device"

>         Identifier  "DisplayLinkDevice"

>         Driver      "displaylink"

>         Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"

> EndSection

If I comment this option as shown below, the displaylink screen remains
green and the default screen shows the normal display.

Section "Device"

>         Identifier  "DisplayLinkDevice"

>         Driver      "displaylink"

>         #Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"

> EndSection

On checking the Xorg log file, I found out that the displaylink_drv.so
module is unloaded, which might be the reason for the displaylink screen not
showing proper display.

The remaining relevant parts of my xorg.conf are as follows:

Section "ServerLayout"

>         Screen      0  "DefaultScreen" 0 0

>         Screen      1  "DisplayLinkScreen" LeftOf "DefaultScreen"

>         Option         "Xinerama" "off"

> EndSection

Section "Device"

>         Driver      "nouveau"   #I have Nvidia Geforce Graphics card.

>         Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"

>         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

> EndSection

I have also tried setting  the DisplayLinkScreen as Screen 0 and the default
screen as screen 1, with no success.

I would appreciate any thoughts provided on this. If there is more
information required about my system configuration, I would be glad to
provide.

Regards,

Akshay Sathe.