[Libdlo] Sheevaplug and UM-720S Intermittent failure to display

Todd McCandlish mccandlt at gmail.com
Fri May 28 08:14:35 PDT 2010

I am posting here and on the plugforums because I am not quite sure
where my problem lies. Any guidance on where to look is greatly
appreciated.

I am using a UM-720S Mimo display with a sheevaplug (also tried an
openrd but same problems exist). I installed Squeeze on to the plug by
following guidance located here
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/openrd/install.html.

#uname -a
Linux  2.6.32-3-kirkwood #1 Sat Feb 27 14:27:55 UTC 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux

I have downloaded compiled and installed the fb driver and the Xorg
driver for the display from these locations:
http://git.plugable.com/webdav/udlfb
and
http://git.plugable.com/webdav/xf-video-udlfb

I was able to build and install the drivers with no issues.

 During the boot up process the display turns green (as expected). Once the
system launches GDM the screen flickers and then goes into a cycle
where a solid red screen is displayed for second,
followed by a greenscreen,
then blue,
then blank,
then grey,
then a checker board.

This pattern repeats until I kill the running Xorg and then GDM
restarts and then the normal Debian login screen comes up and all
seems well.

It almost seems like every other time that X is started it works. Even
from a reboot.

Looking through the Xorg.0.log file it seems like everything is OK.
When I look at the running processes it looks like everything is running.

Has anybody run into anything similar? Any ideas where I should start
looking? I am not sure if it is a framebuffer driver

Thanks