[Libdlo] serverlayout issues with intel and displaylink configuration

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Fri Oct 8 06:23:09 PDT 2010

Hello everybody,

The last few weeks I have been spending my free time trying to get my
new plugable displaylink devices working. Special thanks to Bernie
Thompson. See Message-ID: <4C1F407D.7010700 at powercraft.nl> thread for
all the background information.

I managed to let them detect my EDID of both 23" and 19" VGA and DVI
SAMSUNG monitors (still got some issues with other VGA 7" monitors with
long cables and special resolutions) There was also something wrong with
my 23" SAMSUNG monitors (buzzing when brightness set to < 99) So I had
to return them for RMA. (it all takes time)

I am now trying to get a setup working with a intel based laptop with a
19" SAMSUNG VGA attached and a displaylink devices with 19" DVI SAMSUNG
attached. I need the intel VGA output to be the primary monitor because
I also use it to watch video and the displaylink devices shutters when
playing full screen video (small sized video windows do work)

My major issues is that my displaylink device is not used when it is not
the first found screen section in the serverlayout section of my xorg
configuration. When it is the first found screen section it does work
but the displaylink will be the primary monitor and this is not a
situation I can work with.

Please see the file attachments also available as pastebin here:
http://debian.pastebin.com/8vzx3RC3
http://debian.pastebin.com/PNrW4v4b
http://debian.pastebin.com/8WpNxP2d

Any help will be appreciated. Suggestion to use additional mailing-lists
for help are also appreciated.

PS. please make the mailman max. message size 100KB.

With kind regards,

Jelle de Jong