[Libdlo] Doublesight Ds-90U display issues on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.1 LTS

Craig Inglis craig.inglis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 16:09:07 PDT 2010

FYI - Its now working nicely with Gnome + Xinerama on my netbook. I can drag
windows between screens etc. and everything reverts back to the netbook
display if I boot or login without the screen attached.

Netbook: Acer as1410 SU2300 CULV (1366x768 Intel 4500MHD)
OS: Linux AA1 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 20:05:27 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Howto:

sudo apt-get install libusb-dev xorg-dev build-essential
xserver-xorg-video-displaylink git-core
modinfo udlfb # this udlfb does not work well

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo module-assistant prepare
git clone http://git.plugable.com/webdav/udlfb/
cd udlfb
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
modinfo udlfb # should show the new udlfb version

#copy attached xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
#check input device paths using info from cat /proc/bus/input/devices

# Fix gdm login screen problem...
sudo vi /etc/gdm/Init/Default
# add following after gdmwhich function...
XRANDR=`gdmwhich xrandr`
if [ "x$XRANDR" != "x" ] ; then
  $XRANDR -o 0
fi

# Disable kernel modeset (required by udlfb)
sudo vi /etc/default/grub # add following to kernel options: vga=normal
nomodeset
sudo update-grub
# then reboot

Login using "Gnome Failsafe" window manager. Fluxbox also works without
modification.

Regular Gnome desktop doesn't work - not sure why - probably gdm issue.

xorg.conf is really fussy if you try to tweak it - so best to check you have
ssh access before making changes

Fussy things:
   - Displaylink screen must be in ServerLaout before Laptop screen
   - modeset needs to disabled using grub kernel option
   - Depth has to be 16bit for all screens for Xinerama to work (needs
DefaultDepth)
   - Lucid no longer supports kbd module - need to use evdev instead
   - AutoAddDevices needs to be false or it crashes
   - 9" screen is recognized as 4" NAV device - need to set DisplaySize to
avoid huge fonts

I didn't have to blacklist any modules or create *fbcon.conf *and my
displaylink screen does not go green during startup - works fine tho.

Regards

Craig