[Libdlo] Multihead X.org failed (solved)

Thomas Siedlich thomas.siedlich at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 13:46:12 PDT 2011

Hi!

It's time for an update:

On Sat, 6/25/11, Thomas Siedlich <thomas.siedlich at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to run a dualhead (the aim is tripplehead) setup
> with a Displaylink and an Intel device:
>
> Intel (on mainboard):
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
> Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
>
> Displaylink (HIS Multi-View II Adapter):
> udlfb: DisplayLink AN2440D3
>
> Monitor:
> Eizo S2431W with a native resolution of 1920x1200
>
> Kernel: 2.6.39.2
>   with Bill Katsaks patch
>   see <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libdlo/2011-June/000939.html>
>
> X.org: 7.6
>
> OS: Debian testing
>
> Results
> =======
>
> :-| *** xf-video-udlfb ***
>   from <http://git.plugable.com/gitphp/index.php?p=xf-video-udlfb>
> Works only singlehead
> If intel is configured as screen0, X.org unloads
> displaylink.
> If displaylink is configured as screen0, X.org unloads
> intel.

:-) *** xf-video-udlfb ***
Works if...

* The displaylink device has to be screen 0.
  (Otherwise it gets unloaded after the intel configuration)

* All "Device" sections have to set the Driver option
  (This solves the unload problem of the intel module after
   the displaylink configuration).

Now should dual screen already working.

***If you want Xinerama:
* All "Screen" sections have to set to the same Depth.

* RightOf/LeftOf in the section "ServerLayout" doesn't work.
  Use the Absolute configuration option.
  (With LeftOf/RightOf I got only a cloned display)

This xorg.conf works for me for dualhead:
-----------------------------------8<---------------
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Toms layout"
	Screen		0		"Screen left"	Absolute 0 0
	Screen		1		"VGAout"	Absolute 1920 0
	Option		"Xinerama"	"true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel855GM"
	Driver		"intel"
        Option          "Monitor-VGA1"  "EizoS2431"
        Option          "Monitor-LVDS1" "LVDSout"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"EizoS2431"
EndSection