MS specific device services

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Feb 26 01:43:02 PST 2014

Hey Ben,

On 25/02/14 09:43, Ben Chan wrote:
> I've made a few patches that implement the MS specific device services
> (i.e. Firmware ID and Host Shutdown). Unfortunately, the specifications of
> these services don't follow a consistent naming convention. I'm thinking we
> could harmonize the names as follows:
>
>   MBIM_SERVICE_MS_FWID  (instead of MBIM_SERVICE_MSFWID)
>   MBIM_CID_MS_FWID_FIRMWAREID
>
>   MBIM_SERVICE_MS_HOSTSHUTDOWN
>   MBIM_CID_MS_HOSTSHUTDOWN_HOSTSHUTDOWN   (instead
> of MBIM_CID_MS_HOSTSHUTDOWN_MSHOSTSHUTDOWN)
>
> And for the mbimcli actions:
>
>   mbimcli --ms-query-firmware-id  (instead of --ms-fwid-query-firmwareid)
>   mbimcli --ms-host-shutdown  (instead of --ms-hostshutdown-hostshutdown)

I already thought about these, and my idea was to completely avoid the
name duplications in the service and command ids, and really rewrite
them ourselves; so something like:

MBIM_SERVICE_MS_FIRMWARE_ID
MBIM_CID_MS_FIRMWARE_ID_GET

MBIM_SERVICE_MS_HOST_SHUTDOWN
MBIM_CID_MS_HOST_SHUTDOWN_NOTIFY

The "Get" and "Notify" names are really made up, but given that these
services only have one command each, it's probably not a big deal.

And then for the mbimcli actions:
--ms-firmware-id-get
--ms-host-shutdown-notify

BTW, do you have any device supporting these? None of the ones I know of
have them implemented.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es