MS specific device services

Ben Chan benchan at chromium.org
Wed Feb 26 09:22:08 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:43 AM, Aleksander Morgado <
aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:

> I already thought about these, and my idea was to completely avoid the
> name duplications in the service and command ids, and really rewrite
> them ourselves; so something like:
>
> MBIM_SERVICE_MS_FIRMWARE_ID
> MBIM_CID_MS_FIRMWARE_ID_GET
>
> MBIM_SERVICE_MS_HOST_SHUTDOWN
> MBIM_CID_MS_HOST_SHUTDOWN_NOTIFY
>
> The "Get" and "Notify" names are really made up, but given that these
> services only have one command each, it's probably not a big deal.
>
> And then for the mbimcli actions:
> --ms-firmware-id-get
> --ms-host-shutdown-notify
>
> BTW, do you have any device supporting these? None of the ones I know of
> have them implemented.

That's not a bad idea. The duplication does look a bit odd (and differ from
the spec).

My only concern is that whether more CIDs will be added to the service, and
whether the CIDs will be extended to support 'Query', 'Set', or
'Notification'. However, the second case seems unlikely for these two
services. Also, we may want to avoid using '_NOTIFY' for
MBIM_CID_MS_HOST_SHUTDOWN_NOTIFY as that seems to imply that the CID is
related to 'Notification' while it's a 'Set'.

A more dramatic approach, which I'm not sure if it's worth the effort, is
to change to the code generator not to add a service name to CID names.
Then we can pick whatever CID names we want as long as they are unique.

As for the mbimcli actions, would you like to following a similar naming
convention (e.g. query instead of get for 'Get') like basic-connect?