Establishing connections to multiple PDPs simultaneously with MBIM

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Wed Aug 5 12:55:43 PDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 20:09 +0200, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > I just posted a patch for this; comments?  The only thing I don't like
>> > is how --connect specifies the session id, but I'm not sure how else to
>> > do it since adding an additional parameter --session-id wouldn't really
>> > fit with the mbimcli model, as --session-id is only applicable to 3
>> > commands in basic-connect.  So I chose the :-based approach...
>>

>> Why not with a comma to separate fields, as we already do e.g. in
>> mmcli? like "--connect="apn,0" (leaving APN as first argument, and
>> assuming 0 for the session id if none given).
>
> It looked like the existing code doesn't do key/value pairs at all, and
> the next item after APN is expected to be the authentication type.  If
> we converted it to key/value pairs (eg,
> ="apn=xxx,session-id=2,auth=EAP") then that would work a lot better.
> But do we honor backwards compat for mbimcli command line args for
> scripts?  If so this is a bit harder, though the presence of a '=' in
> any of the pairs indicates key/value pair being used.

We should keep backwards compatibility for now, so maybe adding both
formats but warning about deprecation if the old one is used...
finding a "=" during parser would indeed trigger the new format
processing easily. I'm really open for anything here, don't have a
strong opinion on how to best do it, truth be told.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es