error: couldn't close device: Transaction timed out

Joe joe.on.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 04:58:43 PDT 2015

On Saturday 06 June 2015 13:39:17 Joe wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2015 20:08:56 you wrote:
> >
> > Well, looks like the modem decided to not
> > reply for 2 minutes.
> >
> > Is this by any chance an embedded system with
> > limited power in the USB port?
>

> Debian system is on a net-book, an Acer Aspire
> One ZG5 (8G HD, 512MB ram, 1.6GHz Intel Atom
> CPU). I've choosen that distro instead of
> Slackware because its netinstall make easier to
> build up a minimal system... and atp-get do the
> rest.
>
> Do you think that netbook coul be the matter?
> How could I exclude a issue related to USB
> limited power?
>
> I have also an usb-2.0 hub with its own power
> supply, I could try to plug it and then insert
> my olicard in this powered hub... Do you think
> could this perhaps help to give more power to
> our internet key?
>
> An other test could be by installing Debian
> on my main PC (that now hosts a dualboot
> Windows/Slackware). But I just don't have a
> free partition on HD... I should repartition
> it shrinking actual ones: it is alwasy a
> 'dangerous' procedure.
>
> Have you got any other ideas to find where the
> issue could be?

Oh, an other info... Olicard works fine using its HSPA
dial up modem capabilities. I tried to connect to
internet by configuring a PPP connection (pppd + chat
script) and it seems to work properly. In that case
I had to manualy add this device to "option" buond
devices, cause that module doesn't support it natively:

(plugin)
modprobe option
echo '2020 4000' > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

And our /dev/ttyUSB0 old modem appears.

If we had USB power problems, perhaps it would not
even been working dialup connection too. What do
you think about this?