error: couldn't close device: Transaction timed out

Joe joe.on.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 04:06:23 PDT 2015

On Saturday 06 June 2015 16:47:38 you wrote:
> On Saturday 06 June 2015 13:44:40 Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> >
> > Yes, try with the externally powered usb hub, that
> > will definitely help to check whether this is an
> > issue with the output power of the usb ports in the
> > netbook.
> >

> Uhmmm seems usb hub doesn't improve its usual
> "buggy" behaviour. I didn't save a log this time,
> but "transaction timeout" error persists and I can't
> still connect to internet using MBIM feature.

After a discussion on a forum (Slacky.eu) an user
gave me an idea: let's take kernel modules which
cdc_mbim dempends on and compare debian with slackware
config file.

Just a short recap:

Debian kernel: precompiled 4.0.4

NETDEVICES=Y
USB_NET_DRIVERS=m
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m
USB_WDM=m
USB_NET_CDC_NCM=m
---

Slackware kernel: hand rebuilt 3.19.4

NETDEVICES=Y
USB_NET_DRIVERS=Y
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m
USB_WDM=m
USB_NET_CDC_NCM=m
---

So the question wolud be: USB_NET_DRIVERS is "built" in-core on
Slackware while as a module on Debian..
Could it be the matter????

Are you developers able to answer?

I'm not, bu I'm just a simple end-user...  :)

So, why don't try to rebuild a kernel for Debian using Slackware
".config" as starting point...
Well Debian is instaled on a very poor netbook with 8GB HD...
And has an old Atom... not a great choice to compilae a kernel.

Since my main PC has more hardware resources, I've created a
chroot jail on slackware and build up a base system thanks to
debootstrap.
Finally I've apt-got sources of 4.0.4 kernel and reconfigure it
by copy my slackware config in source tree..
All seems gone properly and (make thanks to deb-pkg) I've obtained
three .deb packages for kernel image, headers and libc-dev.

After installing all those on the netbook I noticed a real
improvement when I send mbim command to the dongle.
Although somethimes a "transaction error" still poups up, I was able
to reach a sucsessfull connetcion and also to read IP Gateway and
other network related informations...

This is not a total solution because many times I obtain a
transaction error...
But seems the right way to solve.

Peraphs too long timeout setted last time could casuse more trouble
than gain, but it's just a my suspicion...

Anyway as I thought the problem is not directly related to libmbim
but could be at a lower level (some other kernel module for example
or some related libs too old... I don't know).

In conclusion, this  test shows how kernel reconfigure can change
mbimcli behavior.
Hope this new info could give you some brilliant ideas to help me
solving completley.

What do you think about?
I'm willing to make some other test you will suggest.

Thanks again for all your support!
See you