QMI via MBIM for "FCC Authentication" fix

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Apr 5 12:22:56 UTC 2016

Great! We definitely need this ASAP for EM7455 support in Lenovo
laptops.  There was another request on the MM list just now.

But I am still wondering about one thing: How does Windows do this "FCC
auth" thingy? Do they use the magic QMI inside MBIM too, or is there
something similar implemented in MBIM?

Are you somehow able to do a USB snoop of the Windows driver attaching
to the modem? I don't know how to do that with an internally connected
device, though...  Maybe disabling/enabling the modem using some
"rfkill" switch will do?  Or maybe it's possible to run the snooper on
boot?

I still recommend USBPcap for Windows USB snooping in case you want to
give it a try: http://desowin.org/usbpcap/

Bjørn