MC7455 on Rasp Pi 3

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Sep 19 04:45:21 UTC 2017

Hey!

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Gabriel Kuri <gkuri at ieee.org> wrote:
> I'm using an MC7455 on a Rasp Pi 3 connected via USB.
>
> It's connected with a Sprint SIM on a static IP address. I'm having
> issues where the connectivity just goes away randomly and the only way
> to recover is a reboot of the RPi.

How are you managing the connection? Are you getting any specific error?

> I'm using libmbim v1.14.0
>
> Here's the output of the firmware version:
>
> !GOBIIMPREF:
>
>  preferred fw version:    02.20.03.00
>
>  preferred carrier name:  GENERIC
>
>  preferred config name:   GENERIC_002.017_000
>
>  current fw version:      02.20.03.00
>
>  current carrier name:    GENERIC
>
>  current config name:     GENERIC_002.017_000
>

> Are there any recommended startup scripts to run? Is there anything
> specific I need to do to tell the modem to stay connected and
> automatically re-connect if it loses connectivity for whatever reason?

In general I'd advise to use ModemManager along with NetworkManager,
as that allows for automatic reconnections by configuring the
connection settings to autoconnect in NM, and NM also knows exactly
what needs to be done to get the setup connected.

You can also use mbim-network but you need to consider that the IP
settings may need to be set manually in the network interface if DHCP
doesn't work. Also, this won't do automatic reconnections for you.

Setting up an autoconnect profile in the modem may also be an option,
if there isn't one already. Although that isn't support via MBIM, you
would need to use QMI over MBIM and --wds-set-autoconnect-settings in
qmicli operations.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es