mbimcli use from a NON ROOTuser

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Mon Aug 22 12:20:23 UTC 2022

Hey,

> Would like to ask if running the mbimcli from other than root user on a Linux system is possible?
> Because from root all works fine, but from other user on the system the execution is getting stuck and manually(ctrl+C) termination is needed to stop the process.
> I have tried multiple users other than root, same result.

If you build and install libmbim yourself, there is a build option
(-Dmbim_username) that can be used to select the username that will
own the cdc-wdm ports exposed by the cdc-mbim driver.

If that option is not provided, as in a normal distribution
installation, then only root can talk to the MBIM control port (either
through the proxy or directly).

--
Aleksander