[Liboil] Orc-0.4.0

David Schleef ds at entropywave.com
Mon Jun 1 15:18:44 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 05:37:37PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2009, at 5:17 PM, David Schleef wrote:
>
>> > Excellent!  Will Orc be embed-able in larger projects?
>>
>> Not sure what that means to you.
>>

> Mainly:
>
> - can OMPI's configure call your configure (preferably at an m4 level,
> not directly invoking ./orc/configure)

Presumably AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS() would work, but I don't know details.

> - can we name-shift all of orc's symbols to ompi_orc (just to be sure we
> don't conflict with someone's already-installed orc)

I don't know of a good way to do that.

> One other question: I assume that Orc emits code that is supported by
> the GCC assembler.  Does it support any other compiler suites?  (mainly
> asking about x86_64 Linux compilers, like Intel, PGI, etc.)

I've been cleaning up code in anticipation of a migration to Intel
assembler syntax.  Gas handles it just fine, so there's no reason
not to use it.  I'm considering adding a flag for which syntax to
generate, but the features/complexity ratio there is pretty low.

Of course, runtime code generation doesn't require an assembler.

dave...