[Liboil] Orc-0.4.0

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Jun 1 14:37:37 PDT 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 5:17 PM, David Schleef wrote:

> > Excellent!  Will Orc be embed-able in larger projects?
>
> Not sure what that means to you.

Mainly:

- can OMPI's configure call your configure (preferably at an m4 level,
not directly invoking ./orc/configure)
- can we name-shift all of orc's symbols to ompi_orc (just to be sure
we don't conflict with someone's already-installed orc)

We do this for a few small projects that we embed in Open MPI
(libevent, PLPA).

> Of course, you could just use Orc to produce assembly source code for
> architectures you might not be able to support by manually writing
> code.

True, but it would be nice/convenient if we could just ship Orc itself
-- plop in a new version whenever it is released and the configure/
build system does the Right Things for the target platform that the
user is building on.  Not a deal breaker, of course -- but I figured
I'd ask.  :-)

One other question: I assume that Orc emits code that is supported by
the GCC assembler.  Does it support any other compiler suites?
(mainly asking about x86_64 Linux compilers, like Intel, PGI, etc.)

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems