Want to help

Rafael Espíndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri May 30 13:23:24 PDT 2008

> Since you are a Nikon shooter, implementing the decompression for Nikon
> camera is what comes to mind, so that we can bring NEF support up to
> speed with the rest of the formats (uncompressed NEF is supported).

Sure. I take it.

> One of the starting point to read is here:
> http://libopenraw.freedesktop.org/wiki/Nikon_NEF
>
> The second part is actually implementing Huffman decompression.
>
> Feel free to ask here if you have more questions.

Just to check that I got it right, the attached patch adds some stub
functions. My task is to implement _decompressNikonQuantized, right?

How should I test this? I will try to add some unit tests, but is
there a more end to end way? I noticed the demo/cfa.cpp. If I give it
a cr2 file, it generates a grayscale, linear image (i.e. uninterpreted
sensor data). If I get the NEF decompression right, I should expect
the same result or the output will be in some other format?

What does cfa stands for anyway? :-)

> Hub

Cheers,
Rafael