Weird QMI devices - ZTE MF60

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Mar 6 11:51:53 PST 2012

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:

> That's pretty bizarre, and I've never heard of anything like that.  So
> when in "Qualcomm" mode it really only has one usb interface?

Yes.

> Maybe that's a firmware loading interface or something?

Could be.  Another possibility is that it is a mislabelled usb-storage
interface waiting for another modeswitch.  Don't know if I'll bother too
much with this though.  I don't think any sane person will want to use
any such weird cabled mode anyway.  The Wifi interface is the only
interesting one for 99% of the users.

I only happened to get the device by accident, as an emergency
replacement for the fiber which should have been installed more than a
month ago...  And then I couldn't resist playing with it :-)

> Not really sure; but the Gobi modems only expose one or two interfaces
> when in firmware download mode and after you download the firmware
> they switch to 4-interface mode.  About the only thing I can think of
> is to run 'strings' on the Windows connection manager and drivers and
> see if the driver does do anything with QMI, that usually shows up in
> the binaries.  Any chance you can tar up the fake CD that it exposes
> before modeswitch and send it to me for inspection?

Sent you off-list.