Huawei E3276 problem

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Nov 8 11:47:23 PST 2012

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer at t-online.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The logfiles show that your modem switches from:
>
> 12d1:14fe
> 12d1:1506
>
> Which kernel did you use with the attached dmesg.log?
>
> Since kernel 3.4  12d1:1506 should work with option and qmi_wwan.

Nope, not necessarily.  Huawei obviously have more firmware code bases
than product IDs ;-)

You need to look at the class codes.  Devices with subclass 01 are fine,
devices with subclass 02 are not.  The device Olof got is one of those
based on "Jungo" firmware, and they are not supported by the qmi_wwan
driver.

Based on the out of tree Huawei driver, I guess this device can be made
working with the cdc_ncm driver given some changes to the bind function.
But that effort will only make sense if we have some way to manage it.
Knowing whether it embeds QMI in CDC commands would be very useful.

If it does, then I think the best is to just create a new driver reusing
the parts of cdc_ncm we just exported for cdc_mbim. Both adding cdc_ncm
support to qmi_wwan and adding qmi and additonal probing logic to
cdc_ncm will create unnecessary complexity and dependencies.