Huawei E3276 problem

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Nov 12 01:41:28 PST 2012

Olof Ermis <olof.ermis at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Okay, back to trying now. Attached is the syslog when I connect the
> dongle. I have added the
>
> echo "12d1 1506" > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
>
> lsmod shows:
>
> option                 29746  0
> usb_wwan               14830  1 option
> usbserial              27212  2 option,usb_wwan
>
> I have not yet applied to cdc_ncm patch. What is the minium kernel
> version for the patch and get this to work? Right now I run on
> 3.7.0-rc4, but 3.6 (or even 3.2.x) would be nice due to my Raspbian
> dist need.

Should work fine on both 3.7.0-rc4 and 3.6.x

> I can only connect / send-commands to /dev/ttyUSB0. /dev/ttyUSB1 is
> completely dead.

/dev/ttyUSB1 should not be there.  It is really the network interface,
which the option just steals.  This is expected when you use the new_id
method and no driver has bound to this interface before.

This will be fixed when the drivers handle this device.

> On /dev/ttyUSB0 (using cat /dev/ttyUSB0) I get these status reports
> continuously, maybe this is the PCUI connection strength status:
>
> ^RSSI:29
>
> ^RSSI:29
>
> ^RSSI:29
>
> I can send
>
> echo -e ATI > /dev/ttyUSB0 and then I get
>
> Manufacturer: huawei
> Model: E3276
> Revision: 21.192.03.01.07
> IMEI: 863781010146687
> +GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES
>
> When i send
>
>  echo -e AT^NDISDUP=1,1,"telia.online.se" > /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> I have got various responses, (ERROR, +CME ERROR: 50) but sometimes
> (?) I get an echo back
>
> AT^NDISDUP=1,1,telia.online.se
>
> Led is flashing blue (I have removed PIN-verification).

Looks good.

> So:
>
> - Is the AT-command working as it should and the only thing that
> remains now is the cdc_ncm-patch (see question on version)?

Looks like it.

> - Is /dev/ttyUSB0 then right port you think?

Yes.  That is the only serial port exposed by the modem, and it is
intended for device management.

> - What device will be exposed when this work? As a device and/or
> network interface (I only have eth0 and lo right now and no
> /dev/cdc-something)? Any additional configuration needed to get that
> to work?

You will have a wwanX network interface.  The cdc_ncm driver will handle
that.