Huawei E1732 qmilib supported?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Sep 24 03:35:00 PDT 2013

Madhan <madhan.mepco at gmail.com> writes:

> hi bjorn,
> Is it possible create a character device file by using cdc_ncm alone
> (/dev/cdc-ncmx ) ?
> By doing so , we might not require sub driver just to send AT commands , we
> can send AT commands directly
> to the dev file created by cdc-ncm
> am i rite Bjorn ?Is it possible ?

That's basically what Enrico's new driver will do.

I do not think this should be added to the cdc_ncm class driver, simply
because it's pointless for most NCM devices and we don't know of any
supported device using the proper NCM class codes.  A dedicated driver
for this type of device is much better.

The sub-driver part is just an implementation detail.  It makes it
possible to reuse an existing driver to create the character device,
avoiding code duplication and taking advantage of many years of driver
development and testing.  You'll notice that two modules are loaded
instead of one, but we use most of the code from the "extra" module
anyway so the overhead is negligible.

The device naming can be considered confusing, given that we now have 3
different protocols exported as /dev/cdc-wdmX.  But the Huawei variant
doesn't add any new protocol.  AT commands is already the original WDM
class protocol as implemented by e.g Ericsson.

Bjørn