Getting frequency band in use

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Apr 29 02:41:26 PDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Marius Kotsbak <marius at kotsbak.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to use QMI to get the current frequency band in use, either
> using the current libqmi or some yet unimplemented API? Or possibly using
> MBIM?
>
> It would be interesting to see when the newly opened 800 MHz band for LTE is
> in use.

QMI has "NAS Get RF Band Information", but there is no qmicli command
for that one yet. There is also the "NAS Get System Selection
Preference", which will tell you how the modem is configured (i.e.
which frequency bands it's allowed to use), and that one has the
qmicli --nas-get-system-selection-preference command already. You can
update which frequency bands to use through "NAS Set System Selection
Preference", but the qmicli counterpart doesn't play with frequency
bands at all, only with access techs (e.g. lte, gsm, umts..).

ModemManager uses "NAS Get System Selection Preference" to list the
current bands (e.g. with mmcli -m 0); and I also implemented support
for "NAS Get RF Band Information" in there, but only when compiled
with --with-newest-qmi-commands. You can update the bands allowed to
use (will use "NAS Set System Selection Preference" ) with mmcli
--set-current-bands.