Question about Gobiserial Vs qmi_wwan

Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni gopakumar.c.e at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:30:44 PDT 2014

Thanks for the response, great blog post ! Even for the Gobinet driver, for
some devices like Pantech UML295, I dont even see them putting a linux gobi
driver for that in their webpage .. Looks like other than netgear (ie old
sierra wireless), no one seems to be really putting the vendor specific
version of GobiNet driver on their website !!

Now in this whole scheme of things, where does the sierra_net.c stand ? I
see that netgear  packages sierra.c (serial) and sierra_net.c (direct ip)
as their drivers for some of their models, and GobiNet as their driver for
some other models. So is sierra.c and sierra_net.c the driver which was
created before GobiNet and then later GobiNet became the standard vendor
provided driver which provides the same functionality as sierra.c and
sierra_net.c ?  Also I see that the sierra_net.c is still used along with
qmmi/cdc modules - I guess the sierra_net.c is used for the ethernet/data
portion and qmmi/cdc is purely for management/control ?

Rgds,
Gopa.