QMICLI IPV6 problem on MC7354

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Dec 17 12:18:56 PST 2014

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>> Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
>>
>>> I don't think so; the "WDS Start Network" given by qmicli
>>> --wds-start-network gives just the APN to use, it doesn't give any
>>> reference to the profile that was set with AT+CGDCONT. If you want to
>>> use profiles, then qmicli needs to be modified to allow passing the
>>> profile ID (e.g. a new --wds-start-network-id=[ID]").
>>
>> There is always a default profile used for parameters you don't give in
>> the "WDS Start Network" command.  And because the PDP type is one of
>> these, you *have* to create a default profile with the IPV4V6 type to
>> create a successful dual stack connection.  It's just not possible to
>> specify that PDP type any other way using QMI (AFAIK - it's been a while
>> since I played with QMI).
>>
>> E.g., if I set my default profile like this (not recommended):
>>
>> at+cgdcont?
>> +CGDCONT: 1,"IP","","0.0.0.0",0,0
>>

> Humm... how does the modem know that the default profile is that with ID 1?

"WDS Get/Set Default Profile Num".  Getting the 3GPP default profile
number:

sending to /dev/cdc-wdm1:
01 11 00 00 01 01 00 04 00 49 00 05 00 01 02 00 00 00
=> QMUX Header:
=>   len:    0x0011
=>   sender: 0x00
=>   svc:    0x01
=>   cid:    0x01

=> QMI Header:
=>   Flags:  0x00
=>   TXN:    0x0004
=>   Cmd:    0x0049
=>   Size:   0x0005
=> [0x01] ( 2) 00 00    ..
reading from /dev/cdc-wdm1
[Wed Dec 17 20:57:22 2014] read 24 bytes from /dev/cdc-wdm1
01 17 00 80 01 01 02 04 00 49 00 0b 00 02 04 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 00 01
<= QMUX Header:
<=   len:    0x0017
<=   sender: 0x80
<=   svc:    0x01
<=   cid:    0x01

<= QMI Header:
<=   Flags:  0x02
<=   TXN:    0x0004
<=   Cmd:    0x0049
<=   Size:   0x000b
<= [0x01] ( 1) 01       .
<= [0x02] ( 4) 00 00 00 00      SUCCESS - QMI_ERR_NONE
got match!

> There are QMI commands to change the default settings that QMI will
> use in Start Network, I'm just not sure how that would apply if using
> AT+CGDCONT.

Start Network will take its defaults from the referenced profile if that
TLV is present, or else from the default profile.  But any more specific
TLV will override the values from the profile.  So setting an APN in the
Start Network works fine for example.

But the PDP type cannot be overridden AFAIK, because there is no such
TLV.  The IP family preference TLV can only be either 4 or 6. This isn't
a PDP type override.  You need to refer to a profile with the wanted PDP
type.  Or the default profile should be IPV4V6 to allow any type of
connection.  If supported of course - we have to remember that only LTE
generation QMI chipsets can do IPV4V6.