RX-fixup question.

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Nov 5 01:36:15 PST 2014

Markus Gothe <markus at dovado.com> writes:

> Thanks for the information...
> Then I should start working on a decent mac source address fix for it. Ive applied an u8-string to usbnet.h if using QMI or MBIM.
>
> Any opnions on this approach?

I am not sure there is much gain in making this a usbnet feature. Is it
relevant to any other usbnet drivers than those two?

I did some tests using the local device address as both source and dest,
but I guess that doesn't work for bridging?  It will probably want
different valid addresses?

Hmm, qmi_wwan already has the "default_modem_addr", which actually is
used as source address by some devices.  Reusing for our source address
seems like an obvious simplification.  Any reason not to do this?

Grepping a bit around the kernel I found this driver which does similar
header tricks: drivers/net/wimax/i2400m/.  But that driver stores a per
device random src_mac_addr in the device private data. I believe this is
overkill for our purpose.  A shared static address will do just
fine. Won't it?