Sierra mc8355 (gobi 3000) on ThinkPad x220: HW restricted: yes

Alexander Cherednichenko lexaux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:57:23 PDT 2015

Dear all,

First of all, really sorry if that's a wrong mailint list. I just recently
got the device, and connected it to my laptop. However, the connection
doesn't work out of the box.

If I'm not mistaken, it falls with some sort of 'HW Restricted' error. I
wonder what that exactly means? Is it:

a) device is locked for a specific operator
b) device requries a different firmware for an operator
c) my BIOS doesn't let it work (yes, there is a whitelist in x220 bios,
however mc8355 should be in there!)
d) anything else.

Any help appreciated! Probably I'm missing the point as I'm new to this
stuff.

To be more exact, details:

$ sudo qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-operating-mode
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Operating mode retrieved:
    Mode: 'low-power'
    HW restricted: 'yes'

$ sudo qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-model
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device model retrieved:
    Model: 'Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi 3000(TM) Module'

Best regards,
--
Alexander Cherednichenko

[ the only way out is the way up ]