Sierra mc8355 (gobi 3000) on ThinkPad x220: HW restricted: yes

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Apr 9 09:13:56 PDT 2015

Alexander Cherednichenko <lexaux at gmail.com> writes:

> c) my BIOS doesn't let it work (yes, there is a whitelist in x220 bios,
> however mc8355 should be in there!)

I don't know about the rest, but I'm pretty sure we can rule ut a BIOS
whitelist problem, yes.

The IBM/Lenovo whitelisting code will simply refuse to boot with a POST
error if a non-whitelisted card is installed.  Very annoying, because it
means that you cannot even remove the whitelist (i.e. flash the BIOS) or
change card ID without physically removing the card first.

BTDT