Netgear Aircard 341U in QMI mode, switching to 802.3

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Jun 8 03:39:03 PDT 2015

Markus Gothe <nietzsche at lysator.liu.se> writes:

> I discovered that the UML 295 needs sync, set format etc to come in a
> special sequence; if sync was run after set format things would break.
>
> This is most likely the case here: one should use USBpcap in Windows
> to sniff the setup.

Windows sniffing would certainly help us understand how this is intented
to work from the vendor's side.

I've assumed these devices come with raw-ip Windows drivers. And I have
thought about doing the same.  But contrary to Windows, we try to do
thing consistently.  And this would create an inconsistence between
otherwise similar devices.  Probably not a big deal as ling as MM (and
other userspace applications) are aware of it.  But it in my view it
will add complexity compared to the "make sure every device use 802.3"
rule we have today.

If we were to do this, then I we could for example enable raw-ip through
a driver read/write flag exported via the ethtool API. Maybe we also
could let some devices with known 802.3 problems default to raw-ip.  But
that would require QMI userspace application awareness.  Which is an API
problem if we make that change for already supported devices, so I am
not sure we can do that. It is safer to just provide the raw-ip
infrastructure in the driver, and leave it up to userspace to decide
if/when to use it.

For now, I'm feeling like relaxing (even more :) and see if Aleksander's
workaround is good enough.