Netgear Aircard 341U in QMI mode, switching to 802.3

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Sat Jun 6 15:19:06 PDT 2015

On Jun 6, 2015 19:50, "Markus Gothe" <nietzsche at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> I discovered that the UML 295 needs sync, set format etc to come in a
special sequence; if sync was run after set format things would break.

> This is most likely the case here: one should use USBpcap in Windows to
sniff the setup.

I have a patch ready which will retry for some time until the modem ends up
accepting my WDA Set Data Format to set 802.3.

This takes up to one minute or more in the Netgear modem; during that time
all the requests get ignored (they return success but state raw-ip). Then,
one of the requests will succeed with 802.3 as reply, and the modem will
get finally get exposed in DBus.

I'll send that patch for review in the mailing list tomorrow.

> Den 6 jun 2015 14:13 skrev Markus Gothe <nietzsche at lysator.liu.se>:
> >
> > Same issue with with the 770S actually…
> > However in MS Windows it does work for unknown reasons. :-/

Does the windows driver end up using 802.3 or raw-ip?

> > //M
> >
> > On 06 Jun 2015, at 09:18 , Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>
wrote:

guess... Seems like Netgear management decided to default to raw-ip after
taking over from Sierra Wireless, the same happened with last fw for 340U.
I am still unsure if it needed WDA or if CTL did the job.