QMI protocol error (3): 'Internal' when running dms-set-operating-mode

Isaac Raway isaac at mm.st
Mon Mar 2 09:35:28 PST 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 10:53 AM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Isaac Raway <isaac at mm.st> wrote:
> > Thought I had replied to this but can't find it now... when I try to do
> > the proxy command I get this error:
> >
> > $ sudo ~/bin/qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --dms-set-fcc-authentication
> > --proxy
> > error: Unknown option --proxy
> >

> My fault, that should be either "-p" or "--device-open-proxy"

I'm getting an error about not being able to allocate the client:

$ sudo ~/bin/qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-fcc-authentication
--device-open-proxy
error: couldn't create client for the 'dms' service: CID allocation
failed in the CTL client: Transaction timed out

Google results on this error seem to be very generic, not really sure
what to even start with debugging that. Could this be some kind of
mismatch between my ModemManager and the custom qmicli binary?

> >> Anyway.... if you get both libqmi and ModemManager git master, you
> >> should already have it handled ;)
> >>
> >> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?id=a83d1c70b1f433bcb9a33b4cb1b5e3032050a104
> >
> > Not sure why but I'm a little more concerned about getting ModemManager
> > itself from git. Should this be fairly stable? Reluctant to keep poking
> > it when it 'works' now, although it is a bit hacky. I would strongly
> > prefer to have the card work on boot up but messing around in systemd
> > isn't really my specialty.
> >

> If you're worried about stability you can get the latest "mm-1-4"
> branch from git:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/log/?h=mm-1-4
>
> Or otherwise, get the latest stable release which includes that fix:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/ModemManager/ModemManager-1.4.4.tar.xz

I'll go ahead and try installing this in the next few days I think.
Sadly it doesn't look to have been packaged for Fedora 20 yet(?).