qmi_wwan fails with error -22

Martin Hauke mardnh at gmx.de
Sat Oct 31 16:30:42 PDT 2015

On 30.10.2015 21:26, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> I'm attaching a proposed fix for qcserial, in case you feel up to some
> driver patching.  It's not dangerous :)
>
> It would be great to have this tested on more than one lt4112.  I'll
> leave it here for a while for comments, and hopefully some testing,
> before I send it to the usb serial maintainer for review.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.  Even those questioning my sanity :)

Your patches are working fine with the lt4112 (Firmware revision:
11.234.45.01.00) from my HP Z-Book 14.

# dmesg -t |egrep "usb 2-6|wwan|serial"
usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
usb 2-6: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=581d
usb 2-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
usb 2-6: Product: HP lt4112 Gobi 4G Module
usb 2-6: Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
usb 2-6: SerialNumber: 0123456789ABCDEF
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
qmi_wwan 2-6:1.4: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
qmi_wwan 2-6:1.4 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-0000:00:14.0-6,
WWAN/QMI device, a2:cb:29:2f:xx:xx
usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
usbcore: registered new interface driver qcserial
usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Qualcomm USB modem
usb 2-6: Num Interfaces = 6
usb 2-6: This Interface = 0
usb 2-6: Huawei type serial port found (ff/01/02)
qcserial 2-6:1.0: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 2-6: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb 2-6: Num Interfaces = 6
usb 2-6: This Interface = 1
usb 2-6: Huawei type serial port found (ff/01/03)
qcserial 2-6:1.1: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 2-6: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usb 2-6: Num Interfaces = 6
usb 2-6: This Interface = 2
usb 2-6: Huawei type serial port found (ff/01/01)
qcserial 2-6:1.2: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 2-6: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB2
usb 2-6: Num Interfaces = 6
usb 2-6: This Interface = 5
usb 2-6: Huawei type serial port found (ff/01/05)
qcserial 2-6:1.5: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
usb 2-6: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB3

Before submitting my initial patch I tested 2 different laptop models
having those HP-branded Huawei ME906E devices (my HP Z-Book 14 and a HP
Envy 840 from a coworker). Those modems had firmware revision 11.x.
Both worked out of the box with my patch and as far as I have
seen at that time they had activated the same features/ports.

Later it turned out that the layout is not static for those devices.
HP changed the modem layout completely with firmware version 12.x to
make it "Windows 8.1 ready".
Nowadays most (if not all) lt4112-equipped HP-systems are shipped with
firmware 12.x.

I wanted to rewrite/fix this since some time but never got into it.
Bjørn, thanks a lot for stepping in here.

best,
Martin