aleksander/qmi-firmware-update v2: dms-list-stored-images on MC7430

Christophe Ronco c.ronco-externe at kerlink.fr
Thu Jan 19 13:26:36 UTC 2017

On 01/19/2017 01:29 PM, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Aleksander Morgado
> <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
>>> Only thing I noted that I had to give it a reboot before I was able to get
>>> the QMI communication up and working, please see the complete log below.
>>>
>> This is the second time we've seen this, Christophe also saw it if I'm
>> not mistaken. But this is very very strange, because the
>> qmi-firmware-update tool actually does use QMI properly just before it
>> exits (it queries the current firmware preference and so on). I
>> usually play with the MC7455 in MBIM mode, I'll try to switch to QMI
>> and see if I can reproduce that issue.
Hi,

Indeed, I don't need a reboot after qmi-firmware-update (or
--dms-select-stored-image). Here is what's happening with a
--dms-select-stored-image command:
1) select image: OK
2) reset mode: OK
3) be patient, modem will go away
4) be very patient, modem devices will show up again
5) issue whatever QMI command, it will end with a timeout
6) re-issue the same command, it works immediately (and active firmware
has been changed)

It might come from my kernel which is a 4.1 + a bunch of patches (made
by Bjorn) imported from vanilla to have qmi_wwan driver running. So
Sebastian, you might try that instead of a complete reboot.

Here are the logs of this procedure:
root at klk-lpbs_040070:~ # qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0
--dms-select-stored-image=modem0,pri1
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Firmware preference successfully selected

     You may want to power-cycle the modem now, or just set it offline
and reset it:
         $> sudo qmicli ... --dms-set-operating-mode=offline
         $> sudo qmicli ... --dms-set-operating-mode=reset

     No new images are required to be downloaded.

     You should check that the modem|pri image pair is valid by checking
the current operating mode:
         $> sudo qmicli .... --dms-get-operating-mode
     If the Mode is reported as 'online', you're good to go.
     If the Mode is reported as 'offline' with a
'pri-version-incompatible' reason, you chose an incorrect pair

root at klk-lpbs_040070:~ # qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0
--dms-set-operating-mode=reset
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Operating mode set successfully
root at klk-lpbs_040070:~ # qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-list-stored-images
error: couldn't create client for the 'dms' service: CID allocation
failed in the CTL client: Transaction timed out
root at klk-lpbs_040070:~ # qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-list-stored-images
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Device list of stored images retrieved:

     [0] Type:    'modem'
         Maximum: '4'

         [modem0]
         Unique ID:     '?_?'