aleksander/qmi-firmware-update v2: dms-list-stored-images on MC7430

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Jan 19 21:05:44 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Christophe Ronco
<c.ronco-externe at kerlink.fr> wrote:
> Indeed, I don't need a reboot after qmi-firmware-update (or
> --dms-select-stored-image). Here is what's happening with a
> --dms-select-stored-image command:
> 1) select image: OK
> 2) reset mode: OK
> 3) be patient, modem will go away
> 4) be very patient, modem devices will show up again
> 5) issue whatever QMI command, it will end with a timeout
> 6) re-issue the same command, it works immediately (and active firmware has
> been changed)

The qmi-firmware-update v2 branch that I suggested already does the
wait and retries waiting between your steps 5 and 6. Only once we've
had a successful QMI communication with the device, we show the last
results messages and finish qmi-firmware-update. That is what's weird
to me; if you issue any qmicli command *after* qmi-firmware-update has
finished, then the modem should already be ready to reply QMI.

Also, note that older devices like the 9x15 family *do* require
offline+reset, not just reset. At least that's what I recall from when
I did it first time.