UIM Authenticate

Tomcsányi, Domonkos domi at tomcsanyi.net
Tue Aug 14 13:56:24 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm trying to talk to the UIM service by extending libqmi with the Authenticate command (0x34). I'm assuming it is going to run AUTHENTICATE command on the SIM card, which will give me a 3G authentication vector, provided I'm sending it the correct challenge. I think, but correct me if I'm wrong that I need to figure out the input/output parameters somehow (trial-error maybe) then add the message to the UIM JSON definition and try to compile the code.
My question is: I've tried to run the 'get supported message types' using qmicli against my device, but I received 'IllegalQMICommand' error. So is it possible that not all devices implement all of the message types of QMI? If yes then is there any way to figure out if my device supports the Authenticate command, so I'm not wasting my time on trying to implement it when it is not going to work?

I'm quite new to libqmi, so please excuse me if I'm asking things that are obviously stated somewhere.

Thanks,
Domi